One of the most established and highly coveted communities in Ponte Vedra Beach is also home to THE PLAYERS Championship every spring. Sawgrass Players Club, lovingly known as TPC Sawgrass, is an established planned unit development that comes with a boatload of history.
TPC Sawgrass History
- Early 1970s: TPC Sawgrass was developed by Jimmy Stockton
- Developer, Jimmy Stockton, toyed with names like Sea Spray and Dune Village before landing on Sawgrass
- 1974: The PGA Tour relocates from Washington DC to Ponte Vedra Beach
- 1984: Sawgrass Village was constructed in the mid 80’s adding nearby local shopping and fine dining
- 1982: The PGA Tour hosts THE PLAYERS Championship at TPC Sawgrass for the first time
- 1987: Grand opening of the Marriott at Sawgrass
Today Sawgrass Players Club is home to over 1900 families residing on over 1200 acres of lush and mature landscape. Incredibly large oaks canopy the neighborhood not just a wonderful display but immense shade for our hotter months. There are 16 smaller homeowner associations within TPC Sawgrass that make the whole of the community. Two gates provide 24 hour guard access for residents and guests. The main gate located at TPC Boulevard and A1A is nearest to Sawgrass Village and can get members quickly to the beach at The Lodge & Club. The second gate is at TPC Boulevard and Solana Road across from Marsh Landing Country Club and quick access to the Ponte Vedra Inn and Club just 2 miles away. Each community is part of the Sawgrass Players Club master association as well as its individual homeowners association. Sawgrass Players Club offers a variety of home styles including condominiums, townhomes, patio homes, single family homes and estate homes. There is truly something for every budget in Sawgrass including retirement living at Vicar’s Landing which is currently undergoing some incredible additions.
Amenities at TPC Sawgrass
- The Players Pool – All residents of the community have access to the community pool at The Coves. The Players pool includes wading pool for the little ones, picnic benches, children’s park and of course, a pool!
- Golf – TPC Sawgrass has great golfing options both at The Yards and The TPC Clubhouse. And let’s not forget that each year, TPC Sawgrass is home to THE PLAYERS Championship for one week of golfing excitement watching the pros take the course to earn bragging rights.
- Players Park – Players Park is located on Alta Mar Drive with fitness stations along a quarter mile sidewalk. Players Park also has basketball, softball and soccer fields, beach volleyball and a picnic area. Several festivals and special events are held annually at Players Park.
- Boating and Fishing access – With numerous waterways throughout the community, residents can enjoy canoeing and boating, however, don’t bring your gas or diesel boat as they are not permitted.
Dining in TPC Sawgrass
Dining options available in TPC Sawgrass can be found at the Golf Club Clubhouse as well as the fabulous 3 Palms Grille. 3 Palms highlights both indoor and outdoor dining to enjoy their tasty and healthy food PLUS they have incredible views with fabulous sunsets!
All of the schools in Ponte Vedra Beach are incredible with Parent Teacher Organizations (PTO) that are fully focused on student and teacher progress, funding and advancement.
THE PLAYERS Championship
We wouldn’t want to spotlight the community without including the event of all events that takes place inside the community, THE PLAYERS Championship. Every year fans delight in this annual tradition that begins each week with a military flyover and military appreciation concert. Does it get busy in our small, seaside town? Yes, it does, and yet, it’s so worth it. The hustle and bustle that comes to our quaint, resort town is intoxicating to both golf fans and non-golf fans alike. It’s euphoric to see fans riding bikes or walking to the course, on golf carts, you name it. Golf is huge in Ponte Vedra Beach and the event is always nothing short of spectacular. We grateful for the fans that flock to Ponte Vedra Beach for the week to enjoy the sunshine, cool March breezes and see firsthand what makes Ponte Vedra Beach and TPC Sawgrass so amazing.
Have kids attending public school? You’re in luck. Ponte Vedra Beach is part of the A-Rated St. Johns County School District consistently given top rankings state and nationwide for the public schools. Children in the community will attend the public schools below:
There are also many private school options available for our kids listed below:
- THE PLAYERS Championship Info and FAQ
- Top 5 Reasons to Live in Ponte Vedra Beach
- THE PLAYERS Championship in Ponte Vedra Beach
Jenn Heller is the Operations Manager for The Volen Group, Keller Williams Luxury International, a top real estate team in Ponte Vedra Beach. Jenn has over 18 years experience in Real Estate all in Ponte Vedra Beach, she is an Atlantic Beach resident via Long Island, NY since 1991, a book worm, and loves sports, dogs and the beach.